Empty boxes appear in the barcode
These problems are experienced because all Code 128 and Interleaved 2 of 5 fonts use extended ASCII characters that do not work the same on all operating systems, applications and language settings other than ISO Latin 1. The main problem with the Macintosh computer is that it uses the MAC Roman character set and Windows PCs uses ISO Latin 1. The problem does not seem to occur as much on Macintosh OS-X machines as it does with others.
Provided that the barcode is formatted properly to the font with IDAutomation’s Font Tools, the problem is occurring if empty boxes are visible in the barcode.
This problem is resolved by using IDAutomation’s Universal Barcode Font Advantage™, which supports linear barcodes as a single font on multiple operating systems, languages and locales.
- If this problem is experienced with US Western and ISO Latin 1 regional settings, the problem is most likely one of the following:
- The data is incorrect for the font chosen, for example, a Code 128 function was used with an Interleaved 2 of 5 font.
- The data is not formatted for the font correctly. To solve this, compare the function logic with IDAutomation’s VBA code.
- A custom function created for IDAutomation fonts is not working properly. To solve this, compare the function logic with the VBA code.
- An alternative is to use one of the barcode components such as IDAutomation’s Java Barcode Components which is compatible with any operating system including the Macintosh.
If this problem is experienced on the MAC, there are a few other options that may solve this problem:
- Use IDAutomation’s Code 128 or Interleaved 2 of 5 Font with FileMaker and the FileMaker Barcode Plug-in. This plug-in prints from the upper ASCII characters from ASCII 133-145 from the MAC Roman character set (see the chart below) and works cross-platform between PC’s and MAC’s in this way.
- Program the application to print extended characters from alternate character locations as shown in the chart below.
Code_A Code_B Code_C Windows ISO ASCII Windows ISO Unicode MAC Roman ASCII MAC Roman Unicode Code Value Space Space 00 0194 00C2 133 00D6 00 us del 95 0195 00C3 134 00DC 95 fnc 3 fnc 3 96 0196 00C4 135 00E1 96 fnc 2 fnc2 97 0197 00C5 136 00E0 97 Shift Shift 98 0198 00C6 137 00E2 98 codeC codeC 99 0199 00C7 138 00E4 99 codeB fnc4 codeB 0200 00C8 139 00E3 100 fnc4 codeA codeA 0201 00C9 140 00E5 101 fnc1 fnc1 fnc1 0202 00CA 141 00E7 102 StartA StartA StartA 0203 00CB 142 00E9 103 StartB StartB StartB 0204 00CC 143 00E8 104 StartC StartC StartC 0205 00CD 144 00EA 105 Stop Stop Stop 0206 00CE 145 00EB na