Run .NET Applications from a Mapped Drive
This problem is caused because of security settings designed to protect the system. .NET applications do not grant rights to use DLLs on networked or mapped drives.
To fix this problem, the code access security setting must be modified for the assemblies used by the application. To modify the security settings, try the following:
- Download and run this EXE file in the network drive or mapped directory where the application files reside.
- If this does not work, follow the steps outlined below: (These steps were created for our Barcode Label Software based on the information found in Microsoft’s Knowledge Base article 842419.)
Create the permission set element and the code group element for the custom assembly that specifies the required permissions. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
- In Control Panel, double-click Administrative Tools.
- In the Administrative Tools window, double-click Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Configuration.
- In the left pane of the .NET Configuration 1.1 window, expand Runtime Security Policy.
- Under Runtime Security Policy, expand Machine.
- Under Machine, right-click Permission Sets, and then click New.
- On the Identify the new Permission Set page, click Create a new permission set.
- Type “TestPermissions” in the Name box, and then click Next.
- On the Assign Individual Permissions to Permission Set page, click Security in the Available Permissions list, and then click Add.
- In the Permission Settings dialog box, click Grant assemblies the following security permissions, and then click to select the following check boxes:
- Enable Assembly Execution
- Assert any permission that has been granted
- Note: Other listed permission settings can be turned on based on user requirements
- Click OK.
- On the Assign Individual Permissions to Permission Set page, add any additional permissions from the Available Permissions list to the Assigned Permissions list.
- Click Finish.
- In the .NET Configuration 1.1 window, expand Code Groups under Machine.
- Under Code Groups, right-click All_Code, and then click New.
- On the Identify the new Code Group page, click Create a new code group, type “TestCodeGroup” in the Name box, and then click Next.
- On the Choose a condition type page, click URL in the Choose the condition type for this code group list.
- Type the absolute path of the assemblies of the Label Software (For example: “Z:\Program Files\IDAutomation.com Label Software\IDAutomation.LinearBarcode.dll”.) in the URL box, and then click Next.
- On the Assign a Permission Set to the Code Group page, click Use existing permission set, and then click TestPermissions in the list.
- Click Next, and then click Finish.